Goldsmiths: Occupational Test User Training
The Institute of Management Studies (IMS) is a newly formed academic department at Goldsmiths, University of London, offering four different Master programmes: Occupational Psychology, Leadership and Talent Management, Management of Innovation and Digital Entrepreneurship.
Representing a unique interdisciplinary collaboration between academics with expertise in the areas of psychology, computing, design and creative entrepreneurship, the IMS wanted to be able to offer students of all four MSc courses the same opportunities for additional professional training and certification.
Successful training delivered to 30+ IMS students
Delegates qualified to BPS standards in test use
On-site delivery for cost-effective solution
Delegates went on to become regular users of the CAL (Criterion Attribute Library)
Whilst the opportunity to become certified by the British Psychological Society’s (BPS) in the use of psychometrics had been a long standing element of the Occupational Psychology MSc, Goldsmiths University wanted to offer this to all IMS students.
Aware that in providing this training to university students from a variety of backgrounds, there were particular objectives that needed to be met during the delivery of this course. These included:
- Eligibility to register on the BPS Register of Qualifications in Test Use and apply for the EFPA Level 2 Euro-Test Certificate (European Federation of Psychologists Association)
- Become expert in choosing, application, scoring and interpretation of ability tests and personality questionnaires
- Develop penetrating interview and feedback skills to assess personality effectively
- Opportunities to understand how the theoretical aspects of the course become applicable in actual client scenarios
- Learn how to tailor assessments to uniquely match the critical success factors and values of a specific assessment or development need
- The chance to meet, network and learn from those currently working in the field of Occupational Psychology
- Gain access to a wide range of psychometric ability test materials from Criterion Partnership and other test publishers
- Be affordable
To meet these requirements, Criterion met with the Programme Director and Business Manager at Goldsmiths University to discuss how the course could best be delivered to coincide with the academic curriculum of the four courses. In addition, Criterion Partnership had to be aware at the design stage the students’ varying levels of experience of familiarity of psychometrics and ensure this was accommodated.
Based on these discussions, course was to be delivered during the first week of July, to coincide with the end of the students lecture programme and include the following elements:
- A single 5-day course that combined training on Test User: Ability and Test User: Personality
- Delivery by a senior Lead Consultant who was highly experienced in creation, design, delivery and applications of psychometrics – who could provide real world examples of how these tools are used
- Rotation of supporting tutors throughout the week. With a range of different career levels, backgrounds and specialists areas, this maximised the students exposure to those working in the industry
- A highly experiential and interactive experience, drawing on the use of case studies, as well as a variety of other learning methods, including self directed learning, continuous assessment (rather than and end of course exam), group discussions, self reflection and practical sessions
- Training in the use and interpretation of the Criterion Attribute Library (CAL), which is used by clients such as: Next, Home Retail Group, J D Wetherspoon, Dstl, British Gas, Financial Ombudsman Service, Department for International Development, etc
- Face to face delivery of the course supported by pre and post course activities to embed the learning.
Criterion Partnership successfully delivered the training to 30 IMS students, meeting the needs and objectives of the university and the students themselves. Furthermore, subject to completion of their post-course work all are now eligible to apply for entry onto the BPS Register of Qualifications in Test Use and apply for the EFPA Level 2 Euro-Test Certificate (European Federation of Psychologists Association).